Holiday Hairstyles 101: How to do a Side Bun
I know you will be going to a lot of holiday gatherings this season, sometimes running from work to the party in a rush… so how can you take your hair from daytime to glamorous in a few minutes? This short beauty tutorial is about how to do a messy side bun. They always look great because they are a bit disheveled, but stylish enough to be paired with a beautiful dress for a more formal evening. To really amp up the glam, add a sparkly headband, some embellished hairpins or a shot of glitter hairspray (we have a really good one by Style Edit at Estilo).
9 Steps to the Perfect Side Bun
- Don’t freshly shampoo because it makes your hair too slick and slippery. Day-old hair stays up so much better.
- Use dry shampoo (we recommend TIGI Oh Bee Hive or Bumble and bumble Dry Spun Finish) to create texture. It refreshes your “day-old” hair and soaks up any oil at your scalp. If you want it bigger, after applying dry shampoo, backcomb or back brush your hair so it gets enormous!
- If your hair is straight, set it in hot rollers or curl it with a curling iron for volume and a more “dressy” finish. I know it takes time…but that’s why this is “special event” hair…you only do it once in awhile!
- After backcombing or back brushing, start smoothing your hair with a soft brush and pull it over to one side. You should always do this style with a side part and the bun goes on the opposite side of the part. Secure with an elastic band.
- Backcomb the ponytail a bit to give it volume and so the pins (that’s the next step) will grip.
- Wrap it in a loose bun and secure with bobby pins (make sure they are pins that match your hair color). It doesn’t matter if there are a few stray hairs…that makes it look modern!
- Spray with a flexible hairspray to hold the style.
- Use a large curling iron to curl pieces around your face.
- To finish, spray with a firm hold hairspray with shine (we like TIGI Masterpiece) so you can dance all night!
I will be posting more blogs on other holiday hairstyles how-to’s, so keep an eye out for them!
Look and feel beautiful during the holidays (amidst all the chaos!!!)