Humidity=FRIZZ!!!!! How to have smooth, frizz-free hair anytime…
When the dew point is high, frizzy hair is inevitable. I have fine hair with very little natural texture and even my hair has been frizzy recently in the humid weather we have been having in the Pacific Northwest. You should have seen my hair on a recent trip to New York City! Now I know what women who have natural texture or curl go through in the humidity. My hair was awful…dull and frizzy and AWFUL!!!!! Therefore, I did not come home with many photos of me. So let me give you some tips and tricks on how to tame the FRIZZ!!!!!
At Estilo, we carry some great products that are designed to smooth and seal your hair thus keeping the frizziness at bay. Here are some of my favorites:
1. TIGI BedHead Straighten Out Straightening Cream: In 98% humidity under laboratory testing, this product kept hair straight and frizz-free for 48 hours! It contains thermosetting polymers that create a microfilm on each strand of hair. It is meant to be sealed in with a flat iron, but if you can wear your hair smooth and silky for 2 days, it’s worth the extra work!
2. Bumble and bumble Straight Shampoo, Conditioner and Styling Balm: This trio of frizz-fighting products gives you the upper hand from the shower to finishing. Just because the name says “straight” it doesn’t mean “flat”. These products encourage body and movement, quiets frizz and adds tons of shine!
3. TIGI Hair Reborn Journey of Serenity: The secret weapon in these products is SeriSeal Silk Protein. It is specifically designed to wrap a protective layer around each hair and to lay the cuticle down so it resists humidity. Frizziness can also be a result of dryness and this line has a shampoo, conditioner and a deep restorative masque which nourishes the hair deeply and at the cuticle layer.
4. Bumble and bumble Hairdresser’s Oil: Don’t let the word “oil” scare you! If you have frizzy hair, oil can be one of your best friends!!! This user-friendly product has a combination of 5 oils including argon oil and sweet almond oil to give your hair shine and protection from humidity. Use a few drops of this lightweight oil on the mid-shaft and ends of your hair either wet or dry. It is so popular, there is now a shampoo, conditioner and leave-in prep spray to complete the regimen. Try the oil or the whole line! We have samples for you to try while supplies last!
There are also professional services you can have done in the salon that make your hair smooth and shiny for months at a time. We do a treatment called a Keratin Smoothing Treatment. This service infuses keratin deep into the hair cuticle which blocks the effects of humidity. This revolutionary treatment reduces frizz up to 95% and instantly makes the hair shiny, silky and more manageable. Your drying time is cut in half and no flat irons are needed! This is NOT a chemical relaxer…the keratin just wears off in time (usually 3-5 months) and your hair goes back to its normal texture. Our specially trained stylists are here to consult with you and perform the service if you choose.
Here are some other tips to help you combat the frizzies during the humid weather:
1. Don’t wash your hair everyday. Every other day at the most. Do not use harsh, drying shampoos. I have given you some great options for shampoo earlier in this article. Also, use a tepid rinse on your hair after conditioning to close the cuticle.
2. Don’t vigorously dry your hair with a towel….towels are very abrasive and rough up the cuticle. Instead, squeeze the moisture out of your hair and allow to air dry for a few minutes before applying styling products.
3. Use a deeply penetrating conditioner or a weekly masque to infuse moisture into the hair shaft and seal the cuticle.
4. Protective products such as leave-in conditioners and serums can be helpful for extra shine and to help to repel moisture in the air. Bumble and bumble Hairdresser’s oil or TIGI S Factor Dream Drops are great choices!
5. Use little or no hairspray. The spray get sticky and your hair gets difficult to manage when it’s humid.
Whether you are here in the Pacific Northwest for the summer, traveling to the East Coast or vacationing in Hawaii, I hope these suggestions will help you have fabulous, shiny and frizz-free hair! And remember, the wet winter months will be here before you know it!
Enjoy the sunshine! Be bright and beautiful (and use your sunscreen)!!!!!